Saturday, February 25, 2012

Module III

Essential Question:  Why is a study of Alaska Native cultures critical for an understanding of Alaska, past and present?


Alaska's unique cultures were discussed in great detail through one of this modules great resources, Alaska History and Cultural Studies website.  The following is a picture from this site representing where each of the culture's reside in the state:


Not only did this site provide a thorough explanation of the linear progression of how Alaska has reached it's current state, it also showed how this progression was influenced by the Alaskan Native and the non-Alaskan's, mostly from Washington D.C. and oil companies, who wanted to exploit this states resource's.


One thing I learned from the content of this module is how long the Native culture has flourished in the area now known as 'Alaska.'  To be quite honest, the knowledge I gained from both this course and Paul Ongtooguk's Multicultural Counseling course has made a big impact on how I view both the Alaskan Native culture, people, and the Russian and European settler's.  It's almost idiotic to think that a particular population that has managed to survive for literally thousands of years needed anything from an outsider to improve their way of life.  The introduction of tobacco and alcohol has done nothing but hurt this amazing group of people and when I hear stereotypes associated with these people in the community it really frustrates me.  


I'm excited to take this course because it has given me a rejuvenated appreciation for this culture that I intend to share with my students at the high-school level that can hopefully start to improve how this culture is perceived by a part of the general population.


Examine Question:  How do you explain your own cultural identity?
I thought I'd explore this question because, as a life-long Alaskan myself, I thought I could provide an authentic perspective on my take of 'Alaskan Culture.'  When I think of what define's the culture I associate myself with, things like the mountainous terrain, commercial fishing in Bristol bay, a personal connection with the environment, hockey, family, what me and my family normally eat, attitudes and beliefs, and hobbies are what quickly come to mind.  I think cultural identity can be defined as anything that you frequently experience that you feel is important and that may be unique.


Hockey has become a large part of my cultural identity because I've been playing since the age of 3 and everyone I've met along the way have become a big part of my life.  For example, just walking around the Sullivan Arena last night at the Aces game, I ran into former teammates and coaches that I hadn't seen in years.  It's  amazing how fast you can pick back up and it not feel that any time has past.  I think I became aware of this part of my identity when I first started traveling down to the states to play.  The players I would interact with from other parts of the U.S. would be amazed that I was from Alaska and 'Alaska' would often become nick name.


When I moved to the Mat-su Valley at the age of 13 I started a new chapter of my life by leaving close friends and the environment that I had grown to know and getting to know new classmates, teammates, a new house, a new surroundings.  At the time, it was, in my opinion, the worst move anyone could make.  I thought I enjoyed the 'big' city and was scared of my new situation.  Now, I'm glad to call myself 'valley trash.' A name that our people we're once called by a political figure that stuck.


It's hard to answer this question in 3-5 paragraphs because it involves so many facets of my life.  Another part of my cultural identity is the farm-like food that I have grown accustomed to eating.  I think my dad brought this type of food up with him from Minnesota.  A typical dinner at any Frank house hold consists of either steak, burgers, or pork chops, potatoes, and cauliflower.  My wife was able to start infusing my diet with salad, green beans, chicken, and I've always been a fan of any fresh seafood that happens to be in our waters.  


Comments:

1 comment:

  1. I like the chart you used to show the demographics of the state. Also, thanks for emphasizing just how long the Native people have occupied this land.

    ReplyDelete